Telangana SCERT 6th Class Social Study Material Telangana 21th Lesson – Greenery in Telangana Textbook Questions and Answers.
Greenery in Telangana – TS 6th Class Social 21th Lesson Questions and Answers Telangana
Why is it necessary to increase the greenery in Telangana ?
- According to National Forest Policy of India to maintain ecological balance 33% of tree cover is necessary.
- But in Telangana the present tree cover area is only 24%.
- Due to this Telangana state receives very less rainfall and ground water level also reduces.
- Total wildlife is in endangered position due to less greenery.
- So it is necessary to increase the greenery.
What are the uses of forests ?
- If we grow more plants and trees, it will be useful in getting rainfall, improving the surface and ground water level.
- Tanks and wells will be with full of water and so better irrigation’will be provided for agriculture.
- Animals such as sheep, goats, cows will have abundant fodder.
- Grasslands, green meadows will be available to these animals for grazing.
- The pollution caused due to emissions from industries, vehicles and fossil fuel burning will be reduced. •
- Forest produce like timber, bamboo, leaves for medicines and beedi leaves, fire wood, honey, fruits, nuts, etc. will be available from these forests.
- Birds and wild animals will have a proper shelter and will not poach on to the habitations.
Suggest a few measures to protect the plants.
Measures to protect the plants :
- Use natural pesticides
- Try Botanical insecticides
- Provide shelter and warmth
- Add some mulch
- Water then daily
- Plant more trees
- Prevent excess deforestation
How are the trees on both sides of the roads helpful to us ?
- The trees on both sides of the roads in the city make greenery.
- They provide us shelter.
- They make temperature cool.
- They prevent air pollution.
- Abundant oxygen is supplied by taking carbondioxide.
Collect newspaper clippings, showing the news related to planting saplings and make an album.
Note : Students can collect some more images.
How is Vanamahotsavam conducted recently in your locality ?
- Vanamahotsavam is being held in our country since 1950 during the first week of July.
- We are residing in Bhupalpally. We have celebrated Vanamahotsavam 1st July.
- Students, teachers, SMC members, president and some famous persons in our area, participated in this programme.
- We selected non-greenery areas and plant trees like neem. kanuga, peepal. banyan, etc. on either side of roads.
- After that we conducted a cultural programme on greenery.
Create a few slogans on afforestation.
- Save trees, Save the world, Save yourself.
- Live green, Love green, n think green.
- You want to smile, so let the Earth smile.
- T.R.E.E.S : Treat Our Existing Ecosystem Sacredly.
I. Conceptual Understandings
How was Vanamahotsav programme held in your school ?
It is our primary duty to take care of these plants. In my school Vanamahotsav programme was held on August 4th. For this programme my headmaster invite the local leader to participate in it. At first our H.M. Chief guest and other teachers gave their valuable speeches about importance of greenery.
After that they distributed each student one plant and make them to plant surroundings of my school. Remaining students went into my village and plant the saplings in open places. According to this programme we known very much about the importance of greenery.
Make a list of different saplings planted in your school.
We have sappled the following plants in our school zone.
- Indian goosberry
- Caster plants
- Survey plants
- Subabul etc.
How can you say that increase in forest cover will help in high rainfall ?
- Increase forest may leads high rainfall to transportation by the plants / trees.
- High transpiration into the atmosphere allows for the formation of clouds in that region and may lead to abundant rainfall and increasing oxygen levels.
- The carbondioxide levels also will decrease in that area and reduce global warming affect.
Imagine the situations in your village / town or your region, if it is fully covered with trees and greenery.
Due to the continuous efforts made our local leaders, now my village turned into self-sufficient in increasing plants and trees. The Vanamahotsav programme has been continuing for the last four years, we made our village full greenery and the village also involving in the waste lands and converted into parks. This greenery in our village gives us recreation and also habitat for various new animals surviving, it controls endangering of animals in our regions. It leads to increasing oxygen levels, agriculture works and heavy rainfall. Now our village has become a role model to all other surrounding villages and cities to bring awareness about the greenery importance in the people.
Discuss in the classroom, how the plantation has taken place in your locality.
The ecofriendly technology method is insisted by the environmental scientist, nation leaders, state leaders as well as village leaders, we started the plantation programme in our city areAnswer:
Ours is a small school in our locality, my panchayat leaders, local MLA’s have conducted a weekend programme of increasing greenery in our village. Before that we all save trees save country campaign programme. Later our local leaders and our school principal have donated a plant a each student and asked them to plant in your house or near by areas and to take care of them, hence they have become trees. As we do this programme every year, the oxygen levels in the atmosphere will increase and carbondioxide levels will decrease. This helps in sustaining of life.
Discuss about the trees, gardens, parks available in your village / town or region,
Ours is a small town and we have so many trees along the road side, and our leaders also have taken care of growing plants in our area and a few parts are created. Because of this our small town is cool in hot seasons when compared will surrounding towns and village. If we continue maintaining. This type of situations in every village. Global temperature will definitely come down and we can lead the happiest.
II. Learning and Thinking Questions for Examination Purpose
Where do Telangana lies ?
Telangana lies between 15°46′ and 19°47! North latitude and 77°16’ and 81°43′ Eastern longitude. It is situated in the Deccan Plateau.
Write about NFPI (1988) ?
According to National Forest Policy of India (1988) the total geographical area under tree cover should be a minimum of 33% to maintain environmental stability and ecological balance. It is very essential for the sustenance of all life forms, human beings and animals.
What are the two folds of Telangana massive plantation programme ?
- Initiatives in notified areas.
- Initiatives in areas outside the notified.
Read the following para and answer the given questions.
Massive planting activities are taken up in areas such as road-side avenues, river and canal bank, barren hills, tank bunds and foreshore areas, schools and colleges, religious places, housing colonies, community lands, municipalities, industrial parks and farm lands, etc.
What activities are taken up ?
Massive planting activities are taken up.
Name the areas that are related to students.
Schools and colleges.
Read the following para and answer the given questions.
Medicinal plants like neem, tulsi, etc. Fruit and nut bearing like almonds, mango, j sapota, guava, custard apple, etc. Flowering plants like jasmine, marigold, rose.! gulmohar, etc and several other plants like silver oak, raavi. marri, neredu. etc. are! being planted in the above mentioned areas.
1. Name any medicinal plant.
2. Name the nut bearing plants.
Almonds, mango, sapota, guava, custard apple etc.
Read the given para and comment on it.
Planting of saplings is a passion to many of us, but the problem is with regard to safeguarding and protecting of the plants. Normally, more saplings are planted, but not many of them are grown due to our own negligence.
Now-a-days, on many oecassions many of us plantives, saplings and posting the photos in social mediAnswer: This become a great activity to many of us. And we feel it as our pride. But nobody takes care of them. Only a few saplings will grow to plants and then to trees. As the plants are main source of our livelyhood. we should not ignore their growth.
In Telangana the present tree cover area is only about 24%. Discuss the sensitivity in this issue ? *
- According to National Forest Policy of India (1988). the total geographical area under tree cover should be a minimum of 33% to maintain environmental stability and ecological balance.
- But it is only 24% in Telangana.
- This leads to many problems to the life in Telangana and India.
- So steps to be taken to fill the gap between two percentages.
What are the uses of growing more plants and trees ? Write an essay.
If we grow more plants and trees, it will be useful in getting rainfall, improving the surface and ground water level. Tanks arid wells will be with full of water and so better irrigation will be provided for agriculture. Animals such as sheep, goats, cows will have abundant fodder. Grasslands, green meadows will be available to these animals for grazing.
The pollution caused due to emissions from industries, vehicles and fossil fuel burning will be reduced. Forest produce like timber, bamboo, leaves for medicines and beedi leaves, fire wood, honey, fruits, nuts, etc. will be available from these forests. Birds and wild animals will have a proper shelter and will not poach on to the habitations.
Appreciate the Forest Man of India.
The Forest Man of India :
Jadav Molai Payeng was a forest worker in Jorhat district of Assom. At the age of 16, he participated in the social forestry program in 1979 as a labourer in the project which continued for 5 years. After completion of the project, all the workers left but he continued to plant more trees on his own.
He planted and cared number of trees in an area of about 1360 acres over a period of 20 years on a sand bar of the river Brahmaputra. With his work, the whole place turned into a forest, called the Molai forest, after him. He is called as “the Forest Man of India” and awarded Padmashree, the fourth highest civilian honour in the country.
Name the programme of greenery in some other schools.
Each one, Plant one.
II. Reading the Text (given), Understanding and Interpretation
Can you think of the reasons for the condition in the first picture ?
- Due IO lack of rains the area has turned into desertification.
- It also includes acid rains and usage of nuclear weapons
- Excessive use of underground water created this situation.
- Excessive use of bio-chemicals, fertilizers and pesticides, the land turned into barren.
- Global warming is also main reason for this condition.
IV. Reflection on Contemporary Issues and Questioning
With regard to your region compare the situations of the above pictures.
- I am living in Telangana area, naturally our area is upland area.
- There are scarcity of rivers and rocky soil.
- Cultivation is not possible due to lack of water.
- So the first picture situation is also available in same parts of my area.
VI. Appreciation and Sensitivity
What will we do to make our regions like the second picture ?
- We encourage afforestation and planting the saplings in the open places and even in dry waste lands.
- We discourage afforestation and encourage tribal people to use alternate source for their fire wood.
- In every function, in our region a new habit has inculcated among the people to give each and every couple a plant to develop greenery.
TS 6th Class Social 21th Lesson Notes – Greenery in Telangana
- Ecological balance : The ecological balance is the equilibrium between harmonious co-existence of organisms and their environment.
- Pollution : The presence in or introduction into the environment of a substance which has harmful or poisonous effects.
- Ground water level : It is a term that is used in a relatively loose way, normally referring to the level, either below ground or above ordnance datum at which soil or rock is saturated, (water table)
- Greenery : Green foliage, growing plants or vegetation.
- Predominently : Mainly, mostly, for the most part.
- Scanty : Small or insufficient in quantity or amount.
- Erratic : Not even or regular in pattern or movement, unpredicable,
- Scrub lands : it is a plant community characterised by vegetation dominated by vegetation dominated by shrubs.
- Degradation : The process by which something changes to a worse condition.
- Erosion : The process by which rock or soil is gradually destroyed by wind, rain, or the seAnswer:
- Massive : Large and heavy or solid.
- Prominent : Important, famous.
- Meadows : A piece of grassland, especially one used for hay.
- Emmissions : The production and discharge of something, especially gas or radiation.
- Saplings : A young tree, especially one with a slender trunk.
- Intention : A thing intended, an aim or plan.
- Transformation : A marked change in form, nature or appearance.
- Desperate : Feeling or showing a hopeless sense that a situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with.